What is the AVLA?


The Audio-Video Licensing Agency (AVLA) is a copyright collective, which administers licensing in Canada for owners of sound recordings and music videos. AVLA licenses the exhibition and duplication of music videos as well as the duplication of sound recordings.

Anyone who duplicates sound recordings or music videos and/or exhibits music videos requires a license from AVLA or authorization from the owner or controller of the copyright. The unlicensed duplication of sound recordings or music videos and/or the unlicensed exhibition of music videos is an infringement of copyright and may be subject to civil and/or criminal prosecution.

AVLA's television licensing program allows television stations and independent producers to copy music videos for broadcast in a TV program on network, regional and local programs as well as specialty, pay and cable television.

Video pools can obtain licensing through AVLA to provide music video compilations in an analogue or digital format to clubs and dances and for other commercial uses. A video road show license is available for use by mobile video/disc jockeys who make and perform compilations of music videos at functions such as school dances. Road shows can be presented in conjunction with a corporate sponsor.

AVLA licenses sound recordings and music videos for use by Canada's major airlines on their in-flight entertainment programs. AVLA also licenses radio stations using music videos and/or sound recordings in television commercials promoting the station.

If you operate a disc jockey service, restaurant, or retail outlet or are a fitness instructor, dancer or other entertainer who uses duplicated cassette tapes, mini-discs, CD-Rs or any MP3 type playback device such as an i-Pod, you need an Independent/Disc Jockey License. Such a license is personal and non-transferable and does not allow you to duplicate recordings for anyone else.

AVLA will also accept proposals for one time use licenses and other types of licenses and if AVLA is unable to license a business proposal, AVLA will provide guidance as to how to proceed.

AVLA's other audio-duplication license is a music supply service license which allows music suppliers to provide compilations of sound recordings in an analogue or digital format and lease the music to commercial users such as disc jockeys, clubs and retail outlets.

AVLA represents all the major record companies in Canada as well as many independent labels and artists. AVLA members own or control copyright in over 95% of all sound recordings and music videos produced and/or distributed in Canada. To become a member of AVLA you must own or control copyright in at least three music videos and/or three sound recordings.

AVLA does not license the duplication of music videos or sound recordings for sale. All AVLA licenses are for lease only. AVLA does not license the marriage of sound recordings with any video images. Applications must be submitted directly to the respective record company.

For more information directly from the AVLA office in Toronto please contact:

Audio-Video Licensing Agency Inc. (AVLA)

Janet Turner
Clearance Administrator and Admin Assistant

85 Mowat Avenue,
Toronto, Ontario
M6K 3E3
Tel: (416) 922-8727 Ext. 127
Fax: (416) 967-9415
Hotline 1-800-668-8820

Email: jturner@avla.ca